Saturday, March 29, 2014

Week 12

Ahh, the joys of spring break, where everyone has fun but the mom... Actually she loves spring break except when it rains (which usually happens here in Oregon) the kids get cooped up inside and drive her crazy.

I loved spring break as a kid, now I see why my mother was always sending us outside to play.

This week, for my $100 Challenge, I have been waiting for the graphics for my bottle. I hope it comes soon. One of my friends is a graphic designer and I am waiting on his good graces to finish the design and printing. Hopefully it will be done tonight... fingers crossed. The product is ready to go into the bottles. Just need a label so folks remember what it is their getting...

I read an amazing article entitled, "Micro-lending:Toward a Poverty-Free World" by Muhammad Yunus and watched a profound talk by Robert C. Gay entitiled, "Entrepreneurship and Concecration"

The article by Muhammad Yunus really opened my eyes towards the plight of poor people in third world countries. Mr. Yunus operates a micro-lending business that provides capital in poverty stricken areas of India (mostly to women). He states that, “People.. were poor not because they were stupid or lazy. They worked all day long, doing complex physical tasks. They were poor because the financial institution in the country did not help them widen their economic base.” This really caused me to think that even in prosperous America, we could stand to do a lot better for those who are less fortunate. We could run our businesses with a more socially conscious slant, making sure not to just benefit ourselves, but to really benefit the community around us.

Elder Gay's talk was one that needs to be listened to at least 2 or 3 times. I wish there was a transcript of it so that I could print it out and give it to people. His talk centered around finding what God's will is for us on this earth. Being an entrepreneur is great, but if your focus is on things of this world, in the end you will not be successful.

Overall this week was a good week. I am tired and need to prepared for tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment